Many of you have already sent your kids back to school, or will be doing so in just a few weeks. Here in the TLT house, today was our last “first day” for my daughter, a high school senior.
Somehow we’ve gone from this . . . .
To this . . . .
How did this happen so quickly, people??? [sniff!]
While I try to collect myself, here are a few other back-to-school items of note:
- Over on Real Mom Nutrition, Sally Kuzemchak is hosting a terrific giveaway to meet all your lunch packing needs in the coming school year.
- Lisa Leake of 100 Days of Real Food is running a special promotion on her “real food” school lunch meal plans – super helpful when you’re running out of ideas to fill that empty lunch box every morning.
- In an opinion piece in the Augusta Chronicle, Donna Martin, president of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the school food director for the Burke County Public School District, urges Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue to stay the course on healthy school food.
- Rice University’s Urban Edge blog interviews Betti Wiggins, the new school food director for Houston ISD. My favorite quote from the always-feisty Ms. Wiggins: “I’m not running a damn Luby’s.”
- For those looking for more information on how to draft a strong school wellness policy, check out this upcoming free webinar hosted by the Alliance for a Healthier Generation, Voices for Healthy Kids and the Center for Science in the Public Interest.
- This week’s Food Friday tweet chat, hosted by Moms Rising and CSPI, will discuss the need to keep strong standards for school meals, beverages and snacks. To join in the conversation, just use the #FoodFri hashtag between 1 – 2pm. I hope to see you there!
Do you love The Lunch Tray? ♥♥♥ Follow TLT on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram! You can also subscribe to Lunch Tray posts, and be sure to download my FREE 50-page guide, “How to Get Junk Food Out of Your Child’s Classroom.”