In this age of rising food allergies and peanut-free schools, I’d long assumed that all school nurses around the country must have EpiPens on hand in case of emergency.
But when a seven-year-old, peanut-allergic girl tragically died in Virginia last month due to a lack of an EpiPen, I was shocked to learn that most schools will only administer the life-saving medication if supplied by the parents of the child in question. That is to say, if the nurse has an EpiPen belonging to another child, technically he or she is not supposed to administer it to a different child — even in an emergency.
That situation might be about to change, however. Check out this informative Education Week post by Nirvi Shah detailing legislative activity in Chicago, Virginia — and the U.S. Senate — which should make EpiPens more likely to be used to prevent fatal allergic reactions at school.
Do You Love The Lunch Tray? ♥♥♥ Then “like” The Lunch Tray! Join almost 1,600 TLT fans by liking TLT’s Facebook page (or follow on Twitter) and you’ll get your Lunch delivered fresh daily, along with bonus commentary, interesting kid-and-food links, and stimulating discussion with other readers. You can also check out my virtual bulletin boards on Pinterest and find selected TLT posts on The Huffington Post.